Apologies for cross posting, but some of your students may be
interested in this programme.

The University of Edinburgh, Interdisciplinary MSc THE CITY

Inquiries are welcome from prospective students interested in the
interdisciplinary, graduate programme in global metropolitan studies
hosted by the School of Arts, Culture & Environment and the School of
GeoSciences, University of Edinburgh

Theme 2010/11 Marginality: http://www.ace.ed.ac.uk/city/

What is the city? A form to be designed? An image to be projected? An
object to be conserved? A community to be resourced? A structure to be
diagnosed? A problem to be solved? An event to be narrated? And how do
we approach the city? By submitting to it, celebrating, resisting,
subverting, jamming? We invite applicants with backgrounds in the
humanities, social sciences, or creative arts, including architecture,
fine art, human geography, cultural studies, sociology and planning.
Past students have come from a wide range of academic backgrounds and
have been drawn to the programme by the opportunities it offers to
work on the contemporary city in an interdisciplinary way, and to
explore critical, textual and extra-textual (visual, material,
performative) forms of thinking and research. Each MSc The City cycle
is oriented around a theme relevant to contemporary urbanism as a way
of framing the collective aspects of the programme. A new cycle begins
this year with a focus on the sites, issues and challenges of urban
MARGINALITY.
Theme 2010/11 Marginality: 2010-11 marks the beginning of the City
Programme’s exploration of the theme of urban marginality. This theme
will be the focal point for our investigations and speculations and
will provide the imaginative and moral infrastructure for our efforts.
The conjunction of mounting misery and stupendous affluence is clearly
evident in the cities of advanced and advancing societies throughout
the globe. Understanding urban marginality and bridging urban divides
are central concerns of our time: it was the focus for the
International Architecture Biennale Rotterdam 2009 and is the theme
for the 2010 United Nation’s Habitat World Urban Forum.

Programme: The City Programme is structured around two core seminar
courses and two core studio courses. The studio courses are structured
as problem-based pedagogies in which students from differing
disciplinary backgrounds work collaboratively on the ‘Marginality’
theme. Students also elect two Option courses, one in each semester,
from the offerings listed below. After completing the coursework and
having received approval to proceed, students undertake the ‘Urban
Research Project’, an individually supervised research dissertation.

http://www.ace.ed.ac.uk/city/

Professor Jane M Jacobs
Chair in Cultural Geography
Institute of Geography