Call for papers: Creativity and Place Conference

23rd- 25th June 2010, School of Geography, University of Exeter, UK.

…creativity and place, creativity in place, creativity about place, creativity as practices of
place… creative industries, site-specific/site responsive works, politics of display, creative
clusters, art schools, regeneration, festivals, identity…governance, policy, practice,
critique, collaboration….

Issues of creativity and place are currently of compelling significance as fields of
scholarly research, sites of artistic practice and areas of public interest.  We invite
proposals for papers, sessions and round-tables for a conference on the theme of
Creativity and Place.

This conference aims to bring together scholars and practitioners from across humanities
and social sciences to consider the relationships between creativity and place. Scholars
have analyzed the practices and products of artists, musicians, and other practitioners,
exploring the relationships of their work to the spaces and places in which they are
produced and consumed.  Allied research explores the creative industries, their
spatialities, including narratives of clusters and ‘other geographies,’ as well as thinking
through the politics of creative labour and the changing geographies of governance within
the sector.

We are looking for papers that explore the range, intensity and quality of the
relationships between creative industries, cultural practices and place.

We welcome participation from all disciplines and from scholarly and practice-led
approaches.

Please send proposals or abstracts of no more than
300 words to the organizers: Dr David .C. Harvey, Dr Nicola, J. Thomas and Dr Harriet
Hawkins on:   h.hawkins @exeter.ac.uk

Deadline: Monday 1st March

Informed by: Friday 26th March