From: Contaminated Land Management Discussion List [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Edwards, Mark [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 05 January 2010 13:13
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Consultant lists

All,

Apologies if this has been discussed before.  We are often asked, when asking for Desk Studies and the like, if there are companies/individuals we would provide details for. The council has taken the view, thus far, that to name companies implies satisfaction with the company(s) and that also it may be a recommendation – with possible mutterings of cosy relationships – and furthermore if that the company doesn’t come up with the goods that the council is in the frame for recommending/naming them.

Our planners do have a list of planning consultants and one of the requirements is that the companies involved employ MRTPIs.

Do other councils have lists of environmental consultants?  What qualifying factors do you choose? Chartered status/appropriate PI cover/local-regional presence/references/previous experience? Also do you caveat any such lists you provide along the lines of:  “the council does not warrant the companies on this list and…………………..etc”.

Finally, does anybody provide any advice to developers who wish to retain the services of an environmental consultant about how to choose a consultant, what to look for, contractual advice etc.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Mark

UK businesses use up 2 million tonnes of paper each year. Think before you print this email - do you really need to? Thank you.

An Investor in People/Positive about Disabled People DISCLAIMER: DISCLAIMER: