  From: John R Helliwell
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 3:49 AM
  Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Refining against images instead of only reflections

  Dear Jacob,
  Your approach I think it is a sound one for exploring how to gain a significant potential improvement by harnessing the diffuse diffraction, which looks rich and varied in many cases ie must surely contain good structural information. The separation of the various experimental and crystal (imperfection) features is a part of moving towards such a quantitative analysis.

  The diffuse scattering interpretation past examples have involved modelling eg from subjectively obvious looking protein domains and hinge rotation possibilities for example. A more objective approach woulod be to combine the Bragg-derived-protein-structure with molecular dynamics (MD) simulations ie which may then explain in part the observed diffuse X-ray scattering, mainly but not exclusively between the Bragg peaks. Such MD simulations to my mind have improved a lot with the compute power readily available, either to extend the length of time of the simulations or initiate from multiple starting points (eg temperatures) to assess sensible time-evolutions of the structure.

  On getting funded:- Falling between two funding Agencies is a universal challenge, not only USA. I cannot guarantee success but one approach here in UK is to contact both likely Agencies' relevant Programme Managers and initiate a three way e-discussion. After all they can contemplate sharing the cost!

  Good luck,

  Best wishes,
  John
  Prof John R Helliwell