It is interesting and relevant here I think that if you measure
background-subtracted spot intensities you actually are measuring the
AVERAGE electron density.  Yes, the arithmetic average of all the unit
cells in the crystal.  It does not matter how any of the vibrations are
"correlated", it is still just the average (as long as you subtract the
background).  The diffuse scatter does NOT tell you about the deviations
from this average; it tells you how the deviations are correlated from
unit cell to unit cell.

So, in order to use diffuse scattering information you will have to
refine a model in not just one unit cell, but many, and the only
information you have is correlations of motions, not the motion itself.
It would still be nice to have some software (the kind you can download
and install) to do diffuse scattering stuff, but I fear the drop in
Rfree you would get by incorporating diffuse scatter into model
refinement would be slim.

There may be some advantages to measuring weak spots if we had better
models to fit to them than the "learned profiles" Rossmann suggested in
the '70s (the EVAL programs seem to be trying to do this).  But I think
what WOULD be a major step forward is handling overlaps more
intelligently: bridging the gap between powder diffraction (Riteveld
stuff) and single-crystal diffraction processing.  I think the world is
full of single-crystal crystallographers who would love to have been
able to process that one really good crystal that was ruined by split or
otherwise messy or overlapping spots.  What if you had a big unit cell
and a mosaic spread of 10 degrees?  I've seen a lot of crystals like
this!  It would be great if we didn't have to throw them away.  Believe
it or not, there are also a lot of powder people who screen through
hundreds of preps cursing those "spotty rings", because Riteveld only
works for nice, even powder rings (mosaic spread of 180 degrees).
Refining against pixels or not, a program that could be used equally
well for powder, single crystal or clusters of crystals, would
definitely be nice!  But I think all we need coming out the other end is
hkl and F.  The "R factor Gap" between Rmerge and Rcryst/Rfree does not
come from measurement errors, it comes from our inability to accurately
model the average electron density in a unit cell.

-James Holton
MAD Scientist