From: Yong Y Wang [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2010 4:40 PM
To: Schiffer, Alexander R&D/DE
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Stereo TFT

Alexander,

What graphics card were you using in the demo system?  From my experience, it seems only the high end card (FX3700 and up) can do this (having the 3-pin stereo connector).  This is different from the situation for Windows where a low end card like FX380 works fine.  The 3-pin stereo cable is part of the 3D Vision kit in our purchase.

Yong

--------------------
Yong Wang, Ph.D.
Macromolecular Crystallography
Eli Lilly and Company, DC 0403
Lilly Corporate Center
Indianapolis, IN 46285
Tel: (317) 655-9145  Fax: (317) 651-6333
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Sent by: CCP4 bulletin board <[log in to unmask]>
01/15/2010 03:11 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
[ccp4bb] Stereo TFT

Dear all,
We had a demo of the ViewSonic® FuHzion? VX2265wm and Nvidia 3D Vision
system yesterday.
The stereo quality is equivalent/superior to our Stereographics/CRT setup.
We have tested coot and pymol in the normal hardware stereo mode.  There
are several advantages besides space requirements and availability:
integrated recharchable battery and you can work with a second non stereo
TFT to expand the desktop as the glasses do not influence other TFTs
(unlike Stereographics).
On the ViewSonic TFT has a good image quality, however when looking at a
plain coloured background a fine grid is visible. In my opinion it does
not affect the normal crystallographic work and depending on you
background settings you might not even notice it.
As far as I understood the key requirements for linux are a quadro
graphics card with 3-pin stereo connector and the VESA 3-pin stereo cable
that is described in the manual from the Nvidia website but not included
in the package in all countries.
Best regards,
Alexander

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards / Cordialement

Dr. Alexander Schiffer

Sanofi-Aventis Deutschland GmbH
R&D CAS Structural Biology FFM
Industriepark Hoechst
Bldg. G877, Room 029
D-65926 Frankfurt am Main
t: +49 69 305 24896
f: +49 69 305 80169
w:www.sanofi-aventis.de
Sanofi-Aventis Deutschland GmbH ·  Sitz der Gesellschaft: Frankfurt am
Main · Handelsregister: Frankfurt am Main, Abt. B Nr. 40661
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Hanspeter Spek - Geschäftsführer: Dr.
Martin Siewert (Vorsitzender), Ulf Bialojahn, Dr. Matthias Braun,
Peter Guenter, Prof. Dr. Dr. Werner Kramer, Dr. Klaus Menken, Dr. Heinz
Riederer