Dear Nenci

I always used CIP with great success. A good control to test whether CIP
worked, a plate with a plasmid (containing no insert) should not ligate and
will not be circular, hence if CIP worked, this plate should not contain any
plasmids grown on it (or very few).

However, if you were to clone a gene, a plasmid that contains the inserted
gene (which will bring in the two phosphates for the two dephosphorylated
ends) will ligate and colonies will grow.

I never tried SAP, thus  cannot comment on that

Good luck

Akram Alian, Ph. D.

Department of Biochemistry & Biophysics

UCSF