You really don't need much of a system to do just affinity purification, so almost anything would be workable unless you are doing really high throughput work. On the other hand, if you need to do traditional protein purification (IEX, HIC, GEC), which would include untagged proteins, and polishing of tagged or untagged proteins, then a good chromatography system is a must. I've owned, used, and abused an AKTA FPLC since 1999. I think I have one of the first units. It is built like a tank, and is still expandable. We just upgraded the computer system and associated hardware to a modern OS (Win NT4 to XP). I don't know about the Profina units, but the AKTA system can take daily abuse with aplomb. I't been in a cold room for over 10 years and it's still going.

Cheers.