I just wanted to point out that since .gif is a compressed image
format (and probably uses the same LZW compression as zip?) there
is not much point in compressing a gif image. In this case the compressed
image is actually larger than the gif.  This may be partly because of the
mysterious "__MACOSX/" empty directory, which was created on unzipping
the file, so must have been in .zip archive.

-rw-r--r--  1 berry strbiol 79842 2010-01-14 16:31 Pic.gif
drwxrwxr-x  2 berry strbiol  4096 2010-01-14 16:32 __MACOSX/
drwxrwxrwt 32 root  root    16384 2010-01-15 04:05 ../
-rw-------  1 berry strbiol 96841 2010-01-15 09:21 Pic.gif.zip
drwxr-xr-x  3 berry strbiol  4096 2010-01-15 09:21 ./

Also, my mail handler is suspicious of .zip, even when not password
protected, so I had to specifically request the release of this.
If not compressed, the .gif would have shown up inline with the
message in my mail client.

Ed