HIi Gary - We're getting a 423 error which sounds similar:- Updating user
information failed because user email was changed to an address that is already
associated with an account.

On investigation I found that the users involved did have Turnitin accounts prior
to our upgrade to BB8 and had slightly different spelling of their names in the
descriptive first name and last name fields in Turnitin and Blackboard. They
haven't changed their e-mail address at all, but deleting the old account in one
case and changing the name in Bb so they do match don't seem to have worked.

I've sent a ticket into Turnitin, but not heard back yet.