Re-Marika's posting:

Wilberforce's reactionary attitudes with his support for the Pitt repressive measures from 1794 are well-known in working class histories of the period  We know that the anti-slavery movement went into downturn. As far as I am aware we do not know to what extent there was a severe rift for a while between abolitionists who supported his repressive line and those who were against. Clarkson went into 'retirement'. Charles Grey feared he might be arrested under the Sedition and Treason Acts. I do not know whether Anti-Slavery Societies had to register under the Friendly Socieites Act that came in the same period to exercise state control over mainly working class organisations. Clearly the lapse of time meant that despite such fundamental differences within the anti-slavery alliance the two groups could work together again: 1806-7; 1815. An analysis of the post-Peterloo Massacre reactions among abolitionists would be instructive. Joint working again from the early 1820s. However the new repressions from 1832 (e.g. Poor Law) did mean that the radical working class movement saw abolitionist employers as hyocritical. What is interesting is that key leaders in the Governments in 1807 and 1832/3 were those who had opposed the repressions. Working class radical agitation contributed to the passage of the Reform Act of 1832, which despite its severe limitations, made it possible for more abolitionist MPs to be elected and achieve the majority for the Emancipation Act in 1833.

As Michael Craton argued in his 'Slave Culture, Resistance and Emancipation' essay (1982) 'The freeing of the British slagves in 1838, in common with the ending of the British trade in slaves thirty years earlier, could only be achieved by parliamentary decree. Parliament did not act until a majorty of its members had been convinced that slavery, was, at the same time, morally evil, economically, inefficient and politiclaly unwise. Yet the outcome would certainly have been delayed and different had the planters been able to convince Parliament that the slaves they owned wree all humanely managed, contented and efficient. Instead, through the evidence of day-to-day resistance and the major risings of 1816, 1823 and 1831-2, it became gradually apparent that British West Indian slaves could never be ruled without intolerable repression and would never be contented or make efficient workers while slavery lasted.'

Of course Wilberforce was not saint; we have to assess him warts and all, including his tactical ineptitude in the Commons. It would be unhistorical to deny that he played an important role.

Sean