Hi Vicky.

Not disagreeing with what anyone else is saying, but standard
microphones can be successful.  The environment can make a lot of
difference, Fan noise from the PC and other general EMC type noise all
contribute. I have on occoasions been able to improve the noise
background level by re routing the wires at the back of the PC,
particularly the microphone cable, to reduce electrical pickup from
other equipment.

I would love to do some spectrum analysis of the noise level and
frequency distribution of the output of sound systems on PCs when I am
having trouble with background noise.

Sorry, doesn't actually answer your question.

    Geoff

G.J.Harbach  I.Eng  MIED  IIPEM  RegBHTA
Registered Clinical Technologist
Dept of Healthcare Science
West Mids Rehab Centre
91 Oak Tree Lane