Dear colleagues,

Hull History Centre opened its doors to the public on the 25th of January. We are pleased to announce our first quarter events schedule.

All events, exhibitions and activities are free of charge unless otherwise indicated.

Events

Introducing the Hull History Centre: tours

25th Jan - 5th February

3pm daily.

Wednesday 10th February 11am, 3pm and 6pm

Wednesday 24th February 11am, 3pm and 6pm

Wednesday 10th March 11am, 3pm and 6pm

Wednesday 24th March 11am, 3pm and 6pm

Places are strictly limited; book in advance to guarantee a place. Tours leave from the welcome desk.

Lunchtime Club: lecture

Monday 15th February

12.30 - 13.30, Lecture Theatre

Geoff Lawes speaks on the Hull Volunteers during the Spanish Civil War

Tuesday 9th March

12.30 - 13.30, Lecture Theatre

The lunchtime club plays host to speakers who have a story to tell about some aspect of the city of Hull and its inhabitants in the past.

BBC 'A History of the World in 100 Objects': all day event

Monday 15th February

10am to 4pm, Lecture Theatre

Come and find out more about the objects shortlisted from our region featured in this major BBC campaign. The day includes activities for both adults and families.

A stitch in time: activity

Wednesday 24th March

6pm - 7.45pm, Lecture Theatre

Can you knit a garment from a pattern found in our 19th century collections? The pattern is available from mid-February, bring your own knitting needles and we'll bring the yarn.

Legacies of Slavery: International Documentary Film Festival

Saturday 13th March

10am to 4.30pm, Lecture Theatre

The Wilberforce Institute for the Study of Slavery and Emancipation (WISE) have brought this highly regarded film festival to the Hull History Centre for its only UK date. The festival has toured Paris and Rio de Janeiro other world cities. It is not to be missed.

This event incorporates a panel discussion.

£2 entry fee payable on the door. Any profits will be donated to Anti-Slavery International. Details of the films and the tickets can be found on the WISE website or by telephoning the History Centre.

www.hull.ac.uk/wise

Exhibitions

 'When Elephants Fight': exhibition

29th January - 6th March

Explore the diverse stories of people living in Hull who have experienced war and conflict, from the blitz in Hull to present day global hostilities.

Libraries Connect, the Museums Libraries and Archives Council and the History Centre bring you this exhibition

Learning

Family History for Families!: course

Saturday 16th January - 6th March

11am - 1pm, Central Library and Hull History Centre

Work together as a family and learn how to research and record your own personal history and family tree.

Hull Adult Education, Hull Libraries and the History Centre bring you this free course. The course stops at half term and then continues after half term.

Places must be booked, contact the Central Library, 01482 300300 to secure your place.

Family Activities

Time Troopers - Box of Secrets  (ages 16 and under)

Saturday 13th February

11am - 1pm, Lecture Theatre

Celebrate everything you love from music to sport, your family or fashion, by creating and decorating your very own time capsule

Signed, Sealed, Delivered?  (ages 5+)

Saturday 13th February

1.30pm - 3.30pm, Lecture Theatre

Discover what Hull citizens wrote to their loved ones in the past and create your own historic love letter sealed as a scroll, then it's up to you if you deliver it or not!

Recipes for Success (ages 5+)

Tuesday 16th February

1pm - 3pm, Lecture Theatre

Explore our collections of historical recipes from crazy cures for colds to delicious cakes and puddings (and pancakes!) and create posters to advertise them with.

Please note that details are subject to change, telephoning in advance is advisable.

Arike Oke
Audience Development Officer

Hull History Centre
Worship Street
Hull
HU2 8BG

Telephone: 01482 317508
Email: [log in to unmask]

Hull History Centre is the home of Hull's written heritage.

Explore our collections, events, news and learning programmes at our website, http://www.hullhistorycentre.org.uk <http://www.hullhistorycentre.org.uk>

Find us on facebook!
To receive exclusive event and news updates email [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only.  Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else.  If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately.  All transmissions may be subjected to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.

Website: www.hullcc.gov.uk Tel: 01482 300 300 Text phone: 01482 300 349