I think David is mixing up Kekule's dream about Benzene with Dimitri Mendeleev's dream about the Periodic Table!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_August_Kekulé_von_Stradonitz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendeleyev

I watched the programme too - I expect the producers will get a visit from  the Health and Safety Executive pretty soon!!

Seriously, anything that inspires people to take an interest in fundamental science is a good thing.

Jonathan