That’s interesting because there is a book called “Talking To Virgil”  - Talking to Virgil : a miscellany / T. P. Wiseman. Exeter : University of Exeter Press, 1992 - in which an eminent Classicist whilst visiting a medium asked Virgil to clarify some of his poetry and then presented the dialogue to his academic peers. I’m not sure that it went down that well with them, but I thought it was a fascinating example of filling in the gaps, as people like members of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn were wont to do when trying to [re]construct rituals. I believe Moina Mathers and Yeats did this with Celtic rituals.

~Caroline Tully.

http://necropolisnow.blogspot.com

From: Society for The Academic Study of Magic [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of A Clanton
Sent: Saturday, 23 January 2010 10:47 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] USING MAGIC IN DOING ACADEMIC WORK

When writing a paper on Yeats (which I now use as a basis for a lecture in my courses), I asked him for some insight into his poetry. While I didn't use any particular ritual, I do feel this excursion into spiritualism had positive results. And I believe the technique was particularly apt, considering my subject. I'm considering contacting him again for help with my dissertation. :)