And if union bosses can purchase the affection of legislators, why
should not GE and ATT&T as well?

________________________________

From: Anglo-American Health Policy Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of David Wilsford
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Today's spotlight

To Uwe and others
    Yes, it's both odious and ludicrous.  But it's not new.  American
politics has always worked that way.  That's what you get with a very
flat, diffuse, exceedingly open system, which is exactly what the
so-called founding fathers designed with the institutions of the 1789
constitution.  In other words, the system is working exactly as it is
supposed to work.
    Now, if we don't like it, then we have to change the institutions.
    Just let us not naively blame the actors within it for acting the
way they do.  They are all just being perfectly rational given the
longstanding incentive and disincentive structures at play, set up by
these wonderful 1789 institutions.
    Yours
    David