Apologies for cross posting

We have a number of PhD studentships available for photography related projects based
on the Belfast campus. These pay tuition fees and an annual maintenance award of not
less than £13,489 per annum. Full awards are available only to applicants normally
resident in the UK. Applicants for these awards must have or expect to obtain in Summer
2010 the minimum of an upper second class honours degree in a subject area appropriate
to the project. Please forward this to any graduates or masters students who you think
might be interested. We welcome applications outside of these areas but applicants
researching within the published topics will be prioritised for funding.

Photographic Interrogation of Conflict, Disaster and Social Fracture
Supervisors: Prof Paul Seawright, Donovan Wylie, Prof Willie Doherty,

This project evaluates media coverage of 'extreme' events - Although the project has had
a particular focus on Northern Ireland it is interested in the mediation of a wide range of
international and civil conflicts, disasters and refugee emergencies. Much of the media
representation is produced within these situations by non-indigenous practitioners in a
professional media context. Does this significantly alter the residual archive and how
does it influence the collective memory of those involved? The project asks if
photographic and video practice can develop alternative critical models for interpreting
extreme events. Can the language of art practice provide valuable insights into contested
situations? Is art made by those 'internal' to particular circumstances simply more
authentic or is it contributory? We are interested in receiving applications to develop a
body of research (either a combination of visual and text-based research, or a solely
text-based research proposal) for a three-year full time PhD.

Space and Place - Photography and the City
Supervisors: Prof Paul Seawright, Prof Liam Kelly, Prof Terry Wright

Applications are invited for the PhD project Space and Place - Photography and the City.
The successful candidate's will have developed a research application in the areas of
photographic theory, photographic practice or interdisciplinary research that has
photographic practice and its relationship to city spaces as a significant focus. We are
interested in receiving applications to develop a body of research (either a combination of
visual and text-based research, or a solely text-based research proposal) for a three-year
full time PhD. Topics may include (but are not limited to) representation of developing
cities, photography as a method in the investigation of population density or
sustainability, the vernacular city, informal cities, colonial and post-colonial readings of
cities, city as metaphor, the imaginary city, the ruin.

Art, Photography and Documentary Practice
Supervisors: Prof Paul Seawright, Dr KayLynn Deveney

Applications are invited for the PhD project competition in Art and Photography which
relate to documentary practice. We invite research proposals that investigate the impact
of the documentary form on art and artists and vice versa. Encompassing film,
photography, video and installation art, research will focus on the dialogue between art
and documentary. The project seeks to question the traditional opposition between art
and documentary, and investigate/propose new forms of socially engaged art practice.
We are interested in receiving applications to develop a body of research (either a
combination of visual and text-based research, or a solely text-based research proposal)
for a three-year full time PhD.

For further details on these topic please see link below (Art & Design)

http://www.adbe.ulster.ac.uk/schools/graduate_school/phd/opportunities