I think I found an answer here (Andrade, A., Paradis, A., Rouquette, S., & Poline, J. (1999). Ambiguous Results in Functional Neuroimaging Data Analysis Due to Covariate Correlation. NeuroImage, 10(4), 483-486. doi: 10.1006/nimg.1999.0479)

Which was pointed to by Poline et al in Chapter 9 of this book (Friston, K. J., Ashburner, J. T., Kiebel, S. J., Nichols, T. E., & Penny, W. D. (2006). Statistical Parametric Mapping: The Analysis of Functional Brain Images (1er ed.). Academic Press.)

Good luck.
Max