Of course once a system of symbols, e.g. Christ-figures,  has been set
up, it's hard to know when it turns off. Arthur is sometimes a
Christ-figure, but he can't be a Christ=figure when he is obsessing over
Gloriana and especially wishing Florimell were Gloriana as in III.iv. I
think that Timias may not have any abstract allegorical label but may be
defined within the poem itself as a low-grade doppelganger of Arthur, an
Arthur in the making, e.g., just as Arthur falls in love with a
personification of glory and honor in a forest, so does Timias, but he
suffers and conceivably errs more in pursuit of her. It was Don Stump
who first suggested this to me back in the 70s when he was a student in
my Spenser class. The critic can always shift his/her viewpoint to a
different level of the four (as Tuve does in the quotation below) and
even to sexual symbolism. It could be argued that any historical or
pseudo historical event, however minor, carries with it the typology
that was once set up in the early books because our forefathers believed
the entire universe is providentially ordered as much as are the events
of Christ's life, so that back when typology was fashionable (I know no
better word, Harry, and I don't mean it was merely fashionable), one
scholar I know said that every event both in history and in the Faerie
Queene is typological. I don't agree but cannot always find a definite
proof or disproof, as I said.