Here - a little late - are the quotations for this week (Dec 27th to Jan 2nd):

1. 'I don't mind the trouble so much, though that was bad enough; but what I resent is this showing up in print. It wll stick to me like a burr all thorugh my service... It's too bad of you ...

'I don't know ... have you ever been stuck with a horse ?'

2. 'You hit hard ... His own people think he's mad.'

'You don't say so ? I'll show you some of his letters tonight at dinner.

3. '...Look at her from here and tell us how many spots you count now'.

'None ... They're all gone. My God ! Everything's gone !'.

'Quite right ... here's .. your own kind Dr Frole to see you safe home.'

The sources of last week's extracts (Dec 20th to 26th) are as follows:

1.  (...With a mallet and a pair of tweezers he knocked out mysterious wedges of wood that released the forme,,,)  This is from "The Last Term" in Stalky & Co.

2.  (...'…Look! The thing shines now within and without. God! That so much should lie on a word…' )  This is from "Proofs of Holy Writ",

3.  (... a tale from which pieces have been raked out is like a fire that has been poked...)  This is from  Something of Myself.

In the New Readers's Guide we have recently published notes on "A New Displaie of Heraldrie" another 'unpublished' tale in which in 1917 Kipling proposes various enhancements of the coats of arms of the Allied nations to reflect the theatres of war in which they were fighting. It is a most interesting curiosity, written in 17th century language as an update to "A Displaie of Heraldry" by John Guillim (1565-1621).  We plan to illustrate the notes with drawings of Kipling's detailed proposals, courtesy of the Heraldry Society.

Good New Year wishes to all, John R