Dear All,
A quick question on retention periods.  Apologies if this has been discussed recently, but I did not find anything in the archives.

 We have a school where the counselling service has changed providers.  The previous provider was a small firm and the school has decided to go with the Council provided service.

The Counsellor in situ would like to transfer the records properly. They want to make sure the documents that need to be retained and any that are to be disposed need to be disposed.

I have searched for the retention period for these types of files and I could not find anything on the RMS guidance page.

Should I be looking at health records, as the Counselling service is a medical issue, or is there a subsection of pupil records relating to their health records within the school?

My initial thought is that these records would stay with the pupils and move with them and then be destroyed at DOB +25 in line with other records.  However, I am wondering about the health aspect to these records.

Finally, as the school is the data controller in this instance, how do they arrange for the transfer of records? Do we ship it from counsellor to school to school to Council? Or is it something that is counsellor to Council?

Or, am I overcomplicating this procedure in that the records are in the school and will stay in the school?

Any thoughts or advice on this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lawrence

Lawrence W. Serewicz

Principal Information Management Officer
Durham County Council
Rivergreen Centre
Aykley Heads
County Durham
DH1 5TS
0191-370-8804

Durham City of Culture - Back the Bid: register at www.durham.gov.uk.

Help protect our environment by only printing this email if absolutely necessary. The information it contains and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are only intended for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may be unlawful for you to use, share or copy the information, if you are not authorised to do so. If you receive this email by mistake, please inform the person who sent it at the above address and then delete the email from your system. Durham County Council takes reasonable precautions to ensure that its emails are virus free. However, we do not accept responsibility for any losses incurred as a result of viruses we might transmit and recommend that you should use your own virus checking procedures.