Dear All,
I have been kicking around the idea of oral histories from long serving staff.  We are going through a massive reorganisation in County Durham and there are a few staff who have served at the Councils involved for over 30yrs.  I was thinking of proposing that they be interviewed for an oral history project to capture their views on the changes and associated issues. I realize that other councils will be going through similar changes so they may have staff in similar situations.  What is also apparent, from the current spending crisis and the challenges to local authorities, that long service is unlikely to happen again.  I doubt that people starting in local government today will be in it for 30yrs.

My question to the list is whether anyone else has done this and what would be the mechanism?  From my school work I recall that the US government does this with senior officers (Cabinet level but sometimes the level beneath) within an administration. I believe it is usually funded by the relevant presidential library but there may be programmes through the National Archives as well.

Is this something that could be done (is being done) in local government or is it more likely a national programme?

I realize that it not exactly records management but our work often blurs into archival work and I wanted to see what other people had done or were doing about it.

I would be interested in your views.

Best,

Lawrence

Durham City of Culture - Back the Bid: register at www.durham.gov.uk.

Help protect our environment by only printing this email if absolutely necessary. The information it contains and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are only intended for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may be unlawful for you to use, share or copy the information, if you are not authorised to do so. If you receive this email by mistake, please inform the person who sent it at the above address and then delete the email from your system. Durham County Council takes reasonable precautions to ensure that its emails are virus free. However, we do not accept responsibility for any losses incurred as a result of viruses we might transmit and recommend that you should use your own virus checking procedures.