The excellent Periodic Table of Videos made at Nottingham University should give you a good basis for ideas - see

http://www.periodicvideos.com/#

Tim

Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 23:19:12 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] Reactivity series of metals
To: [log in to unmask]

I don't know what teachers want, but I remember as an A-level chemistry student being shown a risky demo of a radical reaction. I suppose it only looked like an explosion, but it was hilarious watching Mr Bush and the lab assistant fail three times and then jump a mile on the fourth attempt. I almost miss the lab... All student should do their own flame tests, complexes of transition metals and iodine clocks, although they would look kind of cool on video. Chemiluminescence demos are always impressive with plenty of interesting chemistry behind it relevant to A-level students.

Perhaps your "reactivity of metal" teachers are looking beyond sodium to demonstrate the increase in reactivity Li --> Na --> K --> Rb --> (don't know if you can go any further) and use it to support the concept of shell of electrons?

Best,
Emma Welsh PhD
Cochrane Systematic Reviewer
Cochrane Airways Group