Patrick & Robin,

I've read about a Washington DC artist's project: taking photos of fireplugs in that city.  A
rather high percentage of them don't function  But I can't retrieve the write-up, despite
assorted google searches.  However, the major US slang usage surfaced, as in Norman
Mailer and Wanda Sykes are fireplugs.  I can imagine Robin being questioned by a
martinet if witnessed taking photos of fireplugs:  issues re fire control and water supply.
There are about 23700 views available via google image search.

Barry