As adjoining neighbours you should definitely have had notice of any
proposed building near your property. You can raise merry hell with the
Council, who are legally obliged to sort it out. Contact a solicitor to do
it properly.
Once again, good luck.
Sally Evans
http://www.desktopsallye.com
http://www.poetryscotland.co.uk
tel  UK 01877 339449
sallyevanz on twitter, facebook and skype