I prefer to think of two problems here.  One is "what is a PhD."  The other
is the entrenched assumptions of how a PhD compares to other degrees.
There's nothing stopping us developing a definitive document - a charter, or
manifesto, or some such thing - that outlines the academic community's
position on PhDs vs other doctorates.  It might take years to get it
accepted by a majority of academics.  Given such a document, one can then
envision an educational program for the public at large.

There's a lot of history and societal baggage to fight, but nothing worth
doing is easy.

...hey, at least you can't accuse me of "thinking small." :-)

Cheers.
Fil

Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Mechanical and Industrial Engineering