I work in the Republic where the norm is no sick pay at least for the first year and in many companies there is none at all. This is coupled with the fact that you have to pay for GP visits and medication (visit is approx £50). I've repeatedly had employees tell me they don't visit the GP, access physio etc due to cost. Conversely I also know some GPs socially who talk about how, as you do not need to register with a specific practice over here, they are often told that "if you don't give me a sick note I'll go to your man down the road who will" which can have a significant impact on earnings.