Here in the English west country, through whose ports so much of the US E caost was settled, 'down' is used in a very vague way. 'Down Marlborough way' simply means 'towards or in the vicinity of Marlborough', with no specifc implications about directional relationships. Could this not then simply be a bit of English regional vernacular that 'stuck'?

Jon

> Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 09:36:29 +0000
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [M-R] TAN: "down east" (WAS: Re: [M-R] orientation of churches)
> To: [log in to unmask]

> Until 1820 Maine was part of Massachusetts (which latter circumstance, for
> those of us interested in feasts, is at the origin of Maine's celebration of
> Patriots' Day, the originally Massachusetts-only holiday commemorating the
> battles of Lexington and Concord). Almost all ports in Maine lie to the
> east of the ports in Massachusetts.
>
> The more troubling part of the phrase "down east" is "down". My assumption
> is that the reference is nautical, with Maine being downstream (in terms of
> Atlantic currents) from Massachusetts.
>
> Best,
> John Dillon
>

> '"down" somewhere' is a common expression in colloquial English. I wouldn't
> make too much of it.
>
> 'Down' railway lines are the tracks to London, be it from Canterbury,
> Plymouth or Edinburgh.
>

> Anne

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]

Have more than one Hotmail account? Link them together to easily access both
 http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/186394591/direct/01/
to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]