From: John Briggs <[log in to unmask]>

>...in Europe, scant attention was paid by the Roman Catholic church to the
question of orientation - it wasn't considered necessary to point to the east
at all.

mmmm.... my dim memory of a few hundred churches in France --big and small--
is that the overwhelming majority are (at least roughly) "oriented."

i'd be hard pressed to expend more than the fingers of one hand to count the
exceptions i know of, most of which can be explained by the exigencies of
pre-existing structures, topography, etc.

lessee..., there's the [present] cathedral of St. Lazare of Autun, originally
a collegial dependent on the nearby [mostly destroyed] cathedral and, for
reasons not clear (to me at least) "oriented" N-S, at right angles to its E-W
orientation.

then there's.....

and....

>The post-Reformation Church of England, however, paid great attention to
exact orientation, with the suggestion of advanced scientific techniques being
employed for the laying out 18th-century London churches.

that's probably because, being among the most ugly buildings ever constructed
by human beings anywhere on the planet (save, perhaps, for 18th c. French
churches), they had to have *something* going for them and, by shear default
of imagination, "science" came to the rescue

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]