From: Dr Jim Bugslag <[log in to unmask]>

> The, granted, very interesting tradition of Hiberno-Saxon stone crosses
apart,

take them apart if you wish, Jim (you closet Philistine), but their relatively
high quality and sophistication strongly suggest that "they did not suck
themselves out of their own fingers" (as Panofsky's teacher, Wilhelm Voge once
said, in another --but not entirely unrelated-- context).

au contraire, ma frere, i'd say that the burden of proof lies with those who
would suggest that the monumental, sculpted stone crosses were one-off flukes,
appearing outside of any related material context or tradition --and a rather
broad one at that, most likely made up of exemplars in multiple other media,
the relative fragility of which has led to those exemplars disappearing
without a trace (save, of course, for the --admittedly indirect-- evidence of
the cross sculptures).

and that particular negative will be a tough nut to prove, even for a
Canaduhian Philistine.

>even documentary references to "free-standing" religious statuary only begin
to appear in Carolingian documents,

hardly "proof" that suchlike statuary did not exist.

btw, how many pre-Carolingian "documentary references" do we have to, say,
frescoes?

or "ivory" carving?

or glass windows?

or buildings _qua_ buildings?

or, for that matter, to decorated manuscripts?

>and as for actual survivals,

"actual survivals" surely represent a tiny, minuscule percentage of what once
existed.

that's my only point.

>the late 10th-century Gero Crucifix is quite an early example.

an early *surviving* example, you mean to say.

>The other prominent early category besides Crucifixes are
statues of the Virgin and Child, which are also rare before the 11th century.

"surviving exemplars of which are also rare," you mean to say.

>And figural reliquaries, too, fit this same chronological
pattern.

(tediously) ditto.

>Certainly, it was only in the 13th century that any
substantial number of statues of the saints begin to appear within churches.

yes, if we could merely judge by the SURVIVING exemplars.

though, in the case of saints' statues other factors --liturgical,
hagiographical, etc.-- might well explain the possible absence of exemplars in
the [surviving] pre-13th c. record.

best (from the Philistine-cleansed Hills of Southern Indianer),

> Christopher Crockett wrote:
> > medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
> >
> > i should think the point of the crosses adorned with sculpted figures is
that,
> > simply, they exist --and therefore prove the existence of figural
sculpture
> > (at least relief sculpture) at that date (whatever the date of the
crosses
> > is).
> >
> > that being the case, the bald statement that "As for images, there
wouldn't
> > have been statues in churches that early" would seem to be a bit of a
stretch,
> > even if amended to read "there wouldn't have been *free-standing* statues
in
> > churches that early."
> >
> > certainly none have survived --but then very, very little has survived
from
> > that dark epoch, save for a few buildings, some manuscripts, some
metalwork,
> > some "ivory" carvings, a paltry few frescoes(?), and even more paltry few
> > glass window fragments... the quality of all of which seems to be
generally
> > quite high, suggesting a *much* larger mass of artifacts, 99.997% of which
(by
> > my careful count) have simply been lost without a trace.
> >
> > stone sculpture would have had the best chance for surviving, of course,
but,
> > given the evident quality of the sculptures on the crosses we should
assume
> > sculpture once existed in other, much more fragile media --stucco,
"ivory,"
> > wax, and, certainly most ubiquitously, wood.
> >
> > statues which were "free-standing" can't really be ruled out, given the
state
> > of our knowledge (or, more precisely, of our ignorance).

Bewcastle

> > in England, and in Ireland, often feature sculpted figures and texts.

> > culture

> > chants: he apparently brought the cantor of St Peter's. I can't comment on
the
> > liturgical aspects of your question, although certainly Marian feasts
were
> > becoming established in Rome during the 7th century. As for images, there
> > wouldn't have been statues in churches that early. Bede, however, claims
that
> > many panels were
> > brought from Rome, and describes in some detail the "programme" of images
in
> > the church at Jarrow. I know this has been written about recently
(Richard
> > Gameson?), but don't have any references at hand.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]