Until 1820 Maine was part of Massachusetts (which latter circumstance, for
those of us interested in feasts, is at the origin of Maine's celebration of
Patriots' Day, the originally Massachusetts-only holiday commemorating the
battles of Lexington and Concord).  Almost all ports in Maine lie to the
east of the ports in Massachusetts.

The more troubling part of the phrase "down east" is "down".  My assumption
is that the reference is nautical, with Maine being downstream (in terms of
Atlantic currents) from Massachusetts.

Best,
John Dillon

'"down" somewhere' is a common expression in colloquial English. I wouldn't
make too much of it.

'Down' railway lines are the tracks to London, be it from Canterbury,
Plymouth or Edinburgh.

Anne

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]