On Dec 12, 2009, at 10:25 PM, John Dillon wrote:

> Today (13. December) is the feast day of:
>
> Lucy (d. 304, supposedly).

Not that you need MORE illustrations, but the "eye" legend associated
with St. Lucy has resulted in some of the silliest and most surreal
depictions of her "extra" pair of eyes that I've ever seen.

My personal favorites are Francesco del Cossa's two eyes on a flower
stem here:
http://www.wga.hu/cgi-bin/highlight.cgi?file=html/c/cossa/griffoni/grif_05.html&find=lucy

My slightly amended detail here :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/claning/1043069255/

...and the eyeballs hovering over a rather spaceship-like dish in a
detail of Lorenzo Lotto's painting (I presume because if they were
actually *in* the dish you couldn't see them from this angle):
http://www.wga.hu/html/l/lotto/1527-30/09nichol.html

(enlarged detail here -- I use this as an Internet icon)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/claning/1098801798

Your post would probably be entirely too long if you tried to include
more than a token bit of the "eye" stuff, but I did have to look twice
to decide that yes, this *is* the Lucy about which these stories are
told.

Also, I wonder whether you meant to say "This L. (usually referred to
WITH geographic specification, the others all having their own
identifiers) ..." or whether you meant WITHOUT geographic specification.

As always, much appreciation for these postings and the abundant image
links.

O    Chris Laning <[log in to unmask]> - Davis, California
+     http://paternoster-row.org - http://paternosters.blogspot.com

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]