John, I'm catching up on my email, and found this a very interesting one,
informative and helfpul for when I do wade in to this book. (I was just
wondering what saints were of importance in Ely, for instance....; I gather
Pfaff will help me on that).  This is just a plea for you to give us a
further verdict when you've read those last 200 pages.
thanks,
cecilia

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 12:48 PM, John Briggs <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> I have now waded through (Pfaff's own words: p.xiv) nearly another 200
> pages (chapters 5-9) dealing with the various monastic orders (after an
> introduction, the first 150 pages dealt with the Anglo-Saxon and immediate
> post-Conquest Norman period.) This has been much harder going, as there is a
> much more detailed commentary on the various liturgical manuscripts,
> although still nothing in the way of history. Liturgical issues are not
> explained: I am still baffled as to what is actually meant by the 'doubling'
> of saints in the Litany (I can guess, but that isn't the point.) A waspish
> commentary on modern scholars is conducted in the footnotes, often with
> irrelevant biographical details. The unfortunate Archdale A. King is treated
> somewhat harshly. Pfaff is an inveterate, if rather unlucky, bibliographer:
> in the absence of an actual bibliography, no-one has spotted that he cited
> two different editions of the same book. The hapless indexer has conflated
> two wildly different E.M. Thompsons. As the general index is the only
> practical entry point into the bibliography, it is distressing to find the
> note: "Modern scholars mentioned in the text are included, as are those
> named in the footnotes if there is analytical or qualitative comment as
> distinct from mere bibliographical reference." There are some astonishing
> lacunae in his bibliography: for example, he includes discussion of
> Constance Berman's "The Cistercian Evolution", but not of Chrysogonus
> Waddell's three volumes of editions of early Cistercian documents!
> (Incidentally, reviewers have lamented that they did not engage with each
> other's work. Berman has responded that she shared her work with Waddell; he
> did not share his with her.)
>
> It has belatedly dawned on me what Pfaff is really doing in his book. His
> interest has always been in calendars and saints (his book of collected
> essays was entitled "Liturgical calendars, saints and services in medieval
> England" [Variorum, 1998]); as far as he is concerned entries for saints'
> feasts in the calendar and sanctorale, together with the proper texts
> employed, are the only aspects of the liturgy that anyone could possibly be
> interested in! (Which might also explain why Sherry Reames, who has similar
> interests, finds the book so valuable.) The entire book consists of a
> commentary, arranged chronologically and thematically (secular by use,
> monastic by order), on the surviving liturgical texts from medieval England,
> discussing *only* that aspect of the various texts.
>
> To me, that is the tail wagging the dog. Correct me if I am wrong, but the
> liturgy has three elements: words (texts: ordinary and proper), music, and
> ceremonial (what action is performed, and who performs it.) It covers all
> services (mass and office, and occasional services both priestly and
> pontifical) throughout the day, and throughout the liturgical year
> [...]

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]