*** This email has been sent from the MEDIA ARTS AND DANCE email forum. To respond to all subscribers email [log in to unmask] ***

THE AUDIENCE SPECTACULAR: Who's watching and how? Ideas of audience in
screen media and performance

JAM 2010 April 16th, University of Reading

CALL FOR PAPERS Rapidly emerging technologies and the effects of
globalization continue to shape the work of those practitioners concerned
with re-positioning the viewer, and impact strongly on developing
discourses within the fields of audience theory and spectatorship. Our
dynamic role as audience members and groups, responding to a wide variety
of forms, is fore-grounded with increasing urgency across media, prompting
a dismantling of traditional models of engagement and re-energised
theorization. JAM 2010 will aim to investigate audience identities across a
range of media, practices, and critical discourses. We want to address the
spectating, experiencing and participating audience member as well as
thinking about the role of audience member as something we perform,
consciously or otherwise. Journeys Across Media 2010 is the 8th annual
conference for postgraduates, run by postgraduates working in the
Department of Film, Theatre & Television, University of Reading. We welcome
proposals that address what it means to be an audience member today, framed
by some of the following concerns:

Aesthetics
Genre
Narrative
Representation
Interaction
New technologies
Community
Medium specificity
Practice as research
Liveness
Activism
Relational space
Documentary

Proposals for practice as research presentations outside the twenty minute
format will be considered.

CALL FOR PAPERS deadline: Friday 30th January 2010. Please send a 250 word
proposal and a 100 word biographical note to Becki Hillman, Amanda
Beauchamp and Feras Bait-Almal at [log in to unmask]

Journeys Across Media (JAM) is an annual one day interdisciplinary
conference organised by and for postgraduate students. It provides a
discussion forum for current and developing research in film, theatre,
television and new media. Previous delegates have welcomed the opportunity
to gain experience of presenting their work at different stages of
development in the active, friendly and supportive research environment of
Film, Theatre & Television at the University of Reading. Non-presenting
delegates are also very welcome. Journeys Across Media is supported by the
Standing Committee of University Drama Departments (SCUDD) and the Graduate
School in Arts and Humanities, University of Reading.

Add your Gmail and Yahoo! Mail email accounts into Hotmail - it's easy
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/186394592/direct/01/