Dear Bridget
Great question. I am sure the list will offer a plethora of options.

*Kete*
One you might consider is  Kete - an open source wiki type community content
vault used extensively here in New Zealand.
There are lots of instances - each of which is managed  by the community of
interest concerned.
The first Kete was built by a local library trust in Horowhenua - and they
still hold the conch for making it  happen in the first place - see
http://horowhenua.kete.net.nz/

*Download*
The main site  which explains it all and offers the download etc is here
is here -  *http://kete.net.nz/*
*
Elevator Pitch *

> 'Kete is open source software that you can use to create online areas for
> collaboration for your community. Write topics and upload images, audio,
> video, documents.  Discuss them all.  Link them together.
>
> It's been called a "relational wiki" and " a mashup between content
> management and knowledge managment".  It's a fun way to get things done.'

***Kete part of a bigger NZ picture *
Kete is built on Ruby - is entirely open source and has an active community
making new pieces.
Though it boot strapped itself into life, it also benefited from the
Community Partnership Fund - which came out of the NZ Digital Strategy work
of a few years ago.

More importantly, it also has the backing of a number of NZ
heritage/cultural institutions - including the National Library of New
Zealand - who have helped fund some of the modifications - e.g. making
it*OIA compliant
* - and building the *in-line Creative Commons option.*

*Digital New Zealand*
Kete is also linked to the Digital New Zealand project -  which harvests
heritage/cultural material into a common repository and then offers API's  -
mapping - and other tools to get it out.
*www.**digitalnz.org/*

*Inges*t
Most of the Kete projects are ingested into Digital NZ - this providing a
powerful backbone to a national common search/discover/re-use option for
both formal/institutional  and informal/community content.

It's this link/connection which I think scans across what I think is your
underlying purpose - ie build tools and platforms which link institutional
content with user spaces.

The examples I give below are almost all from a community POV - however,
there is a lot of energy here in New Zealand around developing just the
kinds of crossover solutions you hint at in your email. Would be good to see
some collaboration around this?

*Examples of Local KETE *
Kete Horowhenua
(http://horowhenua.kete.net.nz)<http://horowhenua.kete.net.nz/>A
knowledge basket of images, audio, video and documents which are collected
and catalogued by the community. The original site the the Kete software was
written for. Ha Kete Kōrero
(http://kete.taranakireo.co.nz)<http://kete.taranakireo.co.nz/>
Kete Digital New Zealand
(http://kete.digitalnz.org)<http://kete.digitalnz.org/>Kete
Digital New Zealand holds digital content from those who want to make it
easier for others to discover and interact with unique New Zealand content
through projects powered by DigitalNZ (http://www.digitalnz.org). In
particular, it is a container where you can put or find digital content that
otherwise would not be available online (for example in other Kete sites, or
repositories). The Cuba Street Memories Project
(http://kete.wcl.govt.nz)<http://kete.wcl.govt.nz/>The
Cuba Street Memories Project is a collaborative community history. Help us
build a history of Cuba Street (Wellington, New Zealand) online - share your
memories and pictures of Cuba Street and contribute your knowledge of the
area. Kete Hamilton
(http://ketehamilton.peoplesnetworknz.info)<http://ketehamilton.peoplesnetworknz.info/>Kete
Hamilton is a digital knowledge basket of Hamilton memories, created by the
community, for future generations to enjoy. Kete Carterton
(http://ketecarterton.peoplesnetworknz.info)<http://ketecarterton.peoplesnetworknz.info/>Kete
Carterton is a digital knowledge basket of Carterton community and heritage
information, created by the community, for everyone to enjoy. Kete New
Plymouth (http://ketenewplymouth.peoplesnetworknz.info)<http://ketenewplymouth.peoplesnetworknz.info/>Kete
New Plymouth, is the Puke Ariki Community Kete. West Coast Te Tai o Poutini
(http://ketewestcoast.peoplesnetworknz.info)<http://ketewestcoast.peoplesnetworknz.info/>A
community initiative lead by the district libraries to gather and archive
stories and digital information of the region Kete Pukekura Park
(http://kete.pukekura.org.nz) <http://kete.pukekura.org.nz/>Kete Pukekura
holds information about the plants, people, places and history of Pukekura
Park (incorporating Brooklands) Chinese Digital Community
(http://chinesecommunity.org.nz) <http://chinesecommunity.org.nz/>The
Chinese Digital Community contains historical and contemporary information,
articles, images, audio, video, documents and web links about New Zealand's
Chinese community. Horowhenua Library Trust
(http://kete.library.org.nz)<http://kete.library.org.nz/>The
Kete set up to manage information for, by and about Horowhenua Library Trust
as an organisation. Most of the content can be viewed by the public,
although some is restricted to staff only, and all content can be edited by
staff only. Kete Tararua
(http://ketetararua.peoplesnetworknz.info)<http://ketetararua.peoplesnetworknz.info/>Kete
Tararua is an online digital repository of media generated and uploaded by
our community. Here you will find stories, photos, videos and audio of the
land and people of Tararua. Our aim is to bring these stories together so
that we can share with each other, Aotearoa New Zealand and the world.
Kete Central Hawke's Bay
(http://ketechb.peoplesnetworknz.info)<http://ketechb.peoplesnetworknz.info/>Central
Hawke's Bay District Kete. http://ketechb.peoplesnetworknz.info/ Central
Hawke's Bay Kete
(http://ketechb.peoplesnetworknz.info)<http://ketechb.peoplesnetworknz.info/>Home
to the digital stories of Central Hawke's Bay
<http://kete.net.nz/en/site/kete_sites/new>
*Enough*
As you can hear - I am a bit of an advocate - but that's okay -  both you
and the list can check it out for yourselves!

And best for the holidays!

Paul

--
paul reynolds
mcgovern online

Paul On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 2:01 AM, Bridget McKenzie <