This message has been sent through the MASSOBS discussion list.
Remember, clicking 'reply' sends your message to the list.

On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 09:13 +0000, Dorothy Sheridan wrote:
> This message has been sent through the MASSOBS discussion list.
> Remember, clicking 'reply' sends your message to the list.
>
> Just for general interest - revival of one form of MO in Bolton.
> From
> Dorothy
>

> Photographer will bring everyday life into focus
> The Bolton News - Bolton,England,UK
> They will be caught on camera as they go about their everyday lives as part
> of a Humphrey Spender-style Mass Observation. The area has been chosen to
> take
> ...<http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/4782259.Photographer_will_bring_everyday_life_into_focus/>

We can all applaud any proposal which records real life and may generate
a sense of community.  It is worth being aware that Greater Manchester
is where the government is trialling the National Identity Register
scheme; see:-
http://press.mu.no2id.net/2009-11/volunteer-for-an-id-card-get-a-government-file-for-life/ which says:-

*****************
Volunteer for an ID card, get a government file for life

The government has announced that residents of Greater Manchester will
be able to apply for an ID card and registration on the National
Identity Register from 30th November [1].

The Home Office claims the cards will be secure, though similar cards
issued to non-EU foreign nationals were recently cracked and cloned [2],
and police admitted that printers until recently available in high
street IT stores were able to produce replicas [3]. The prime selling
point now offered is that they will be convenient for young people. But
any application involves the individual ‘voluntarily’ joining the
National Identity Register database, being fingerprinted, and becoming
subject to all present and future regulations issued under the Identity
Cards Act 2006.[4]

Phil Booth, NO2ID’s [4] National Coordinator, said:

    ‘The Home Office line that ID cards are cheap and convenient is
preposterous. Volunteer for a ‘thirty pound’ ID card and as part of the
package you get a government file for life. Once registered you have the
obligation to keep a Whitehall database about you up-to-date, whatever
it costs, for ever. To believe that is easier than the existing
passport, let alone any of the officially endorsed proof of age cards
that you can buy for a tenner, you would have to be an
    imbecile — or a government minister.’

-ENDS-

Notes for editors:

   1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8361943.stm
   2.
http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/government-law/public-sector/news/index.cfm?newsid=16114
   3.
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23755793-police-war-on-fake-id-factories-as-fraudsters-net-millions.do
   4. See ‘Statutory instruments for the Identity Cards Act 2006′
   5. NO2ID is the UK-wide non-partisan campaign against ID cards and
the database state. See http://www.no2id.net/dbstate for a list of
‘database state’ initiatives that NO2ID is actively opposing, and
http://www.no2id.net/datasharing  for how it all fits together.

For further information, or for immediate or future interview, please
contact:

    * Phil Booth (National Co-ordinator, [log in to unmask])
on 07974 230 839
    * Guy Herbert (General Secretary, [log in to unmask]) on
07956 544 308
    * Michael Parker (Press Officer, [log in to unmask]) on 07773
376 166
*****************

I expect Mr Monaghan is a modest and charming person, as well as nosey,
who will engage happily with his subjects, but he should note that he is
intensifying surveillance in Breightmet. I am glad he will work with
residents, community groups and service providers.

LvS

--
Laurie van Someren, Aleph One Ltd, Old Courthouse, Bottisham, CAMBRIDGE
CB25 9BA  UK  t: +44 (0)1 223 811 679  www.aleph1.co.uk & www.yaffs.net

To leave this list email [log in to unmask]
Alternatively, send the following command to [log in to unmask]
leave massobs