Thanks to all at Dawsonera for responding so quickly.

Thorpe, Caroline M wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
The problems with Dawsonera have now been fixed.
Dawsonera sent us this information today

"Please find below the explanation of the cause and solution from our developers:

After the live release of the Shibboleth SP reports were received from a
few universities that they were not able to log in and were directed
back to the WAYF screen after entering their credentials. After
obtaining credentials, in order to try and reproduce the problem, we
were able to log in successfully. An examination of the server log files
during a failed login showed only that the session was created and the
immediately removed.

Having analysed the traffic from the universities affected we determined
that the secure (HTTPS) traffic and the unsecured traffic (HTTP) was
arriving from two different IP addresses. We were able to reproduce this
as a test by routing our unsecured traffic via a VPN to one of our data
centres leaving the secure traffic coming from our office in Brighton.
Shibboleth is by default (and in all the UK Federation examples)
configured to remove sessions if the source traffic changes IP address.
This is to prevent a user's session being stolen and used by somebody
else. Altering the Shibboleth configuration to disable this security
feature is enough to solve this problem and was performed this morning.

However having the data coming from two Internet addresses caused a
second problem with the load balancers which keep the secure and
unsecured traffic from a single user together by using the source
Internet address. With the traffic arriving from different addresses
there was a good chance that the user would login using one of the
Dawson servers and then try to access content on the other. When this
happens the user will not be logged into the second server and so will
be directed back to the WAYF in order to log in.

Making changes to the load balancer has an impact on all users so a
series of careful tests was carried out with different configurations
before any changes were made to live users. A change has now been made
that will have the load balancers set a session cookie on the user's
browser when they first visit the site which will the be used on both
the secure and unsecured connections to always direct that user to the
same Dawson server.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused."

Caroline Thorpe
Senior Information Adviser
Information Services Systems Team
Student and Learning Services