Dear friends and colleagues,

We would like to invite your contributions to our session GMPV28

"Metasomatism in crust and mantle: A new attempt to unravel mechanisms of both melt and fluid-driven metasomatic reactions"

which is organized in the framework of the forthcoming EGU meeting in Vienna (May 2-7. 2010).

Interaction of melts and fluids with rock is a ubiquitous process known to modify the chemical, petrophysical and rheological properties of crust and mantle rocks. Metasomatic processes take place at all scales and under all PT conditions, but here we set out to identify (perhaps the common) mechanism, which leads to and controls metasomatic reactions. The rapid evolution in high-resolution in-situ chemical analysis allows a more and more mechanistic and quantitative view on how, for instance, reaction selvedges along metasomatic veins form, regional metasomatism is developed, and how deep mantle melt metasomatism differs from fluid metasomatism at lower crustal conditions. We ask how the metasomatic agent moves, what the controlling and limiting factors are, what general similarities and what the significant differences exist between local- and regional-scale metasomatism in crust and mantle?
This platform shall foster an integrated discussion on metasomatic processes in the crust and mantle at all temperatures and pressures and all scales, and document their chemical/isotopic relevance to Earth’s chemical dynamics. We solicit contributions from field based, experimental and numerical geochemistry/petrology, as well as fields of research potentially related to metasomatic processes.

With best wishes,

Timm John ([log in to unmask])
Stephan Klemme ([log in to unmask])
Andrew Putnis ([log in to unmask])

For additional information, registration and abstract submission, please, visit the EGU-2010 official site http://meetings.copernicus.org/egu2010/ as well as a web-page of the session (http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2010/session/2641).

*** We apologize for multiple postings! ***

Dr. Timm John
Institut für Mineralogie
Universität Münster
48149 Münster