All,
   One can find simple platelets of Stp in phyllitic rocks.
   Miyano & Klein back-calculated ferro-Stp equilibria based on P-T estimates of an iron formation, an electron microprobe analysis, an assumed formula and an ideal mixing model.  Their inverse approach is interesting and gives a target to test with future data and models. We tried to address the complexity of Stp-in and Stp-out reactions in the Otago schists (Li et al. 2000).  It is very difficult to analyze Stp on EMP without generating excess K during the analysis (Dave Craw, 1981, Lithos).
   The dark platelets in some schiller pyroxenes can be a dark greenish olive or even a kind of violet color when the optical path length through the lozenge is short.  Ilmenite is not opaque when it is thin enough, my impression is less than a few microns thick. The color should depend on whether it has finely exsolved hematite or not.
cheers,
eric

Li, G., Essene, E.J., Peacor, D.R., & Coombs, D.S. (2000)  Reactions leading to the appearance and disappearance of stilpnomelane in the Otago Schist, New Zealand. J. Metam. Geol. 18, 393-407.