From: Metamorphic Studies Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pavel Pitra
Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 12:11 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: mineral to identify

Dear Eric, Andreas, Christian, Martijn and all,

thanks for your contributions. Yes the lamellae
are very thin. In reflected light they are not
visible with the exception of the very edge
(where the mineral comes to the surface) that is
not more than a couple of microns (or even 1µm ?)
wide and has a "opaque-like" reflectance.

The pleochroisms looks real since the enclosing
white micas are not. I have no experience with
stilpnomelane... It definitely does not *look*
like biotite (but could be biotite exsolution
from celadonitic muscovite?). Could it be very
thin rutile exsolutions? (from a Ti-rich
phengite?; but it seems to have a much lower
relief than normal rutile).
Please pardon my ignorance, but what are "inclusions of chiller" in pyroxenes?

I normally would not bother with Fe hydroxydes,
but these look just so conspicuous... and nice.

Thanks a lot again!

Pavel