Thank you for your response. Let me be very explicit in hat I have done:

1. download fsl-4.1.4.tar.gz using WinVista host, VMwarePlayer3, CentOS5
guest - in other words, fully within the guest Linux OS

2. use this tar file to install FSL on above environment, which all works fine

3. again within this environment, burn the tar file onto a DVD

4. take the DVD to my work system: WinXP host, VMwarePlayer3, CentOS5
guest and copy the tar file to the FSL install folder - totally within the guest
Linux environment

5. download the fsl_install.sh fresh from the FSL site, and attempt to run it

6. get the error I posted

7. Winzip, nor any other Windows FTP program or browser never touched this
tar file

8. I cannot download the tar file directly to my work computer because of
institutional network restrictions at the Veterans Administration Hospital I am
at - think the worst (or best) security setup combining
military+governemt+hospital :-)

9. I am told my predecessor had possibly similar problems installing 4.1.0 a
year ago, but he is not available right now to ask what he did to get it to
work.

TIA for any further suggestions youmay have for me