Hi Longchuan,

>two cortical target masks, one at the thalamus and another at precentral gyrus

the thalamus is not cortical.

W/r to your hypothetical examples: I would never compare the two cases. You should essentially i) have knowledge that the tract exists (=connects your masks) in every case you examine. Knowledge can be clinical. ii) compare similar tracts iii) think hard if / how you want to adjust for different masks sizes.

The waytotal was derived to obtain the probability that a voxel v is part of the tract between A and B given that we know that A<->B exists. In this cases, you can simply devide the number of samples passing through v (given by the intensity of v in the fdt_path output of probtrack(x)) by the waytotal. It's simple Bayesian maths.

To some extent, the waytotal does reflect pathway strength. However, the question is what is a good reference, what to compare with.

>studies that have correlated the waytotal number with anatomical pathway strength or any functional significance

Yes: check out our chapter on Tractography for surgical targeting in Heidi's & Tim's book. Figure 19.12 may be of interest. Here, we used the same mask sizes for homologous seed/target masks across the hemispheres of each subject but not across subjects. Note that in the extreme the waytotal of the CST portion tracked was up to 5 times higher in the lesional hemisphere. Still: the fewer the number of samples that reach the target from the seed relative to the contralateral side, the more pronounced the motor weakness in our sample. The waytotal reduction compared to the nonlesioned side was in better concordance with the clinical rating of the motor weakness than the FA reductions. So it can be useful but requires caution.

Cheers-

Andreas