In the case of a single covariate (ie a single EV) you should make
sure that the EV values are demeaned (across all subjects) before
putting into the GLM GUI or by hand into the design.mat file. Once
you've setup the GLM GUI you can save the design.mat and design.con to
file - if this is still confusing you can see the worked practical
examples in the FSL course material online.

As you are not modelling the mean of the data in this case you should
use the -D option to also demean the data when you run randomise.

Steve.

+44 (0) 1865 222726  (fax 222717)