Dear Jessie,

If your labels are wrong then you definitely need to fix the data
before doing anything else.  It is a *very* good thing that you have
a marker (Vit E) to distinguish left from right.

The tools you need to use to fix your orientation problem are
fslswapdim and fslorient.  I recommend the following strategy:

   take a copy of your original data
   fslorient -deleteorient copiedimage
   fslswapdim copiedimage y -x z reorientedimage
where "y -x z" is just an example.  You need to work out what
the right options are here so that it makes your image look like one
of the template images (look at any of the standard images in
FSLView).  Ignore any warnings about left-right swapping, as
you may need to force this to happen in order to fix the
problem.   (For example, if it is only the left-right which seems
swapped then "-x y z" are the right options)

Once it looks correct in FSLView (showing the L label and
the Vit E marker on the right side of the transverse/axial view)
then do:
   fslorient -setsformcode 1 reorientedimage
   fslorient -forceradiological reorientedimage

If you then look at this image in FSLView you should
see the labels in the correct places.

I hope this helps.
All the best,
	Mark

P.S. It is usually much nicer to avoid all of this by finding a
converter to nifti that gets things correct first time.  I recommend
mricron's dcm2nii or FreeSurfer's mri_convert, but there are
many other options out there too.  Have a look and see if you
can find a better one that you are currently using.