Well, it also matters what user you were using to start the jobs (which was
probably not sgeadmin, as that is usually reserved as a special user).  The
slots parameter should look something like this (which is from my 2 node 8
core minicluster):

slots                 1,[desktop1=8],[desktop2=8]

Where desktop1 and desktop2 are my two computer's host names.  If it still
isn't working right, post the output of qstat -f

Peace,

Matt.

  _____