i'm not entirely convinced by henry's argument that we're not all to some extent voyeurs [though i hasten to add that i'm far from convinced by screen theory] . . . in any case, the point of my post was not to argue that we are all voyeurs - though i suspect all/most males are - but to call into question the idea that "if most people do X it is normal to do so" and to interrogate the normal/pathological binary on which the question seems to be based . . . was king lear mad?, raskolnikov?, elektra?, how about holden caulfield, or even the various characters played by john belushi? . . . as i said, where do you stop?

From: Film-Philosophy Salon [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Henry M. Taylor
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2009 4:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Psychopathology in film

well, where do you stop? . . . indeed, given the wide range of suggestions so far, and the tendency of screen theory to anchor cinematic pleasure itself in "perversion," maybe the trick is to find a film that doesn't meet this criterion . . .

The assumption that cinematic spectatorship is grounded in voyeurism (perversion) is a fallacy. If most people enjoy watching movies it is normal to do so and it doesn't make sense to pathologize visual pleasure per se. Voyeurism does play a significant role in the cinema, but it is specifically tied to particular and more narrowly circumscribed instances of showing and viewing.

* * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html For technical help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon * Film-Philosophy online: http://www.film-philosophy.com Contact: [log in to unmask] **

*
*
Film-Philosophy salon
After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to
For technical help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon
*
Film-Philosophy online: http://www.film-philosophy.com
Contact: [log in to unmask]
**