Dear Dr. Barbani,

What you've heard is at least true for cancer screening, which  I've worked on and where there are a number of biases. One of the most important ones that an RCT takes care of is lead-time bias. Here's an important paper by colleagues of mine demonstrating overdiagnosis of lung cancer through screening:

Pamela M. Marcus , Erik J. Bergstralh, Mark H. Zweig, Ann Harris, Kenneth P. Offord, Robert S. Fontana. Extended lung cancer incidence follow-up in the Mayo Lung Project and overdiagnosis. J Natl Cancer Inst 2006; 98(11):748-756

and an editorial on the paper in the same issue:

Patz, E.
J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2006 98: 724-725

I haven't read the following review but it's also by colleagues whose work I know and can recommend, and I expect it will be a useful overview:

Kramer BS, Croswell JM. Cancer screening: the clash of science and intuition. Annu Rev Med. 2009;60:125-37. Review.

Regards,

Emily DeVoto
London, UK