From: F.Monaghan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: translating instructions - 3 key languages
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Friday, 11 December, 2009, 9:32

Hi Norma,

The talk is not really about translation, it’s just one of the teacher techniques she describes and doesn’t feature in the first talk at all (number 4 I think!). I did do some work with primary children in Wales once as part of an EU project (Fabula) on developing software to enable students to write bilingual stories and we found that the process of creating a bilingual version of their work meant that they didn’t just produce a translation from the English but worked to produce something that reflected their skills in both languages. We described it as ‘parallel authoring’. You might be interested to look at a paper we published in ‘Language, Culture & Curriculum’:
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a907965904&db=all

Best wishes,

Frank