Hi All,

I am looking to find out how other institutions handle Hearing Assistance in
teaching, lecture, seminar and conference rooms for students (and indeed
external visitors).  The University of Birmingham uses IR transmitter
systems in 50 lecture theatres which require the users to have an IR
receiver unit or borrow one from technical or disability services.  There
are many rooms where this system is not in place.

We’re investigating whether IR transmitters with receivers in a limited
number (even increasing by year) is the most suitable solution to meet a
wide range of hearing impaired people’s needs **effectively** or whether we
need to add or consider entirely alternative solutions.

I’m specifically interested in:

1) What hearing assistance options your institution has and where.

2) What does your institution recommend that students get through DSA – e.g
FM systems, or IR receivers.

3) How does your institution provide access to hearing assistance services
to an individual who discloses “at the door”?

4) How do you advertise your provision and services so people, especially
students know what to expect and do to access them?

I’m happy to receive replies on or off Dis Forum – I shall be sharing the
gist of any responses with colleagues here and our fantastically helpful
technical services team.

Many thanks,

Natalya