Dear Tony

Slightly tangential response.

Interested to hear that you are doing this. As an Ed. Psych I do a lot of
work with students with ME/CFS. I find that rather than a mentor it can be
useful to provide a post grad student for undergrads with CFS/ME. Many
students with this condition already know how to manage themselves, but find
it difficult to keep up with the work, and if they miss lectures can often
miss crucial learning components. So in addition to Blackboard/audio or
MP3/podcasts, a more learned study buddy can be key to progress. Some will
need a mentor to help plan/organise/manage illness, but that can often be a
waste of vital energy ..engaging in meaningless meetings.  So if you haven't
thought of buddies for this do th ink about it.

Point 2..where students with CFS/ME need to engage in group
work.......lateral study buddies could also be key, or lateral buddies with
the post grad. Of course where the group work is practical there will be
additional considerations...but presentations can be filmed etc.

And yes, I would provide a relatively detailed JD for the buddy and buddied,
and also some support training and mentoring for that buddy. I don't think
learning support is a natural innate.....we all know that
teachers/mentors/support workers/befrienders learn and improve through
training.

Happy to work through this some more if interested.

Naomi Burgess EP